keep it real = authentic

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 15 20:02:52 UTC 2008

I agree with what Ron has to say WRT to approaching the question from
another POV, such that Chappelle's sketches *do* relate to
authenticity vs. inauthenticity, especially since that's the way that
I personally interpret the sketches. But, unfortunately - well,
trivially, since the proper analysis of "keeping it real" will not
ensure world peace - I failed to see how to present an argument in
support of that analysis.

-Wilson

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 1:45 PM,  <RonButters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
> Subject:      keep it real = authentic
>
> In a message dated 7/14/08 5:28:47 PM, hwgray at GMAIL.COM writes:
>

>> As Chappelle uses the phrase, it appears to have little to do with
>> authenticity. Rather, it appears to relate to maintaining one's social
>> status in the face of any challenge thereto whatsoever
>>
> That is, giving authentic, unrestrained responses to challenges   rather than
> controlled, unauthentic ones. Or at any rate that is exactly how "keep it
> real" is used in the video.

> Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music
> scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
>
> (http://www.tourtracker.com?NCID=aolmus00050000000112)

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens