Who's diddling and how?

Thu Jul 17 16:24:27 UTC 2008

In a message dated 7/17/08 9:50:21 AM, thnidu at gmail.com writes:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:51 PM, <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:
>
> One way of describing this is that transitive FUCK is marked for -MASC &
> +FEM subject. So without further info, "Chris loved fucking Lynn" will be
> assumed to indicate a male subject, at least for older speakers.
>

> Uh, switch signs? Or do you mean that trans. FUCK with -MASC or +FEM subject
> is a marked usage?

I don't think I said this wrong. What I meant was that the marked case is
that the subject is -MASC +FEM. The unmarked (= default) case is that the subject
is +MASC -FEM.

(I realize that I'm using a theoretical framework here that is sbout 35 years
out of date--though it is the one that most introductory linguistic textbooks
still embrace, perhaps because more "sophisticated" semantic and syntactic
theories change so quickly. Are we being diddled in this respect?)

Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your
area - Check out TourTracker.com!