Solids and wetness - euphemisms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 8 14:36:06 UTC 2008

At 11:20 PM -0700 6/7/08, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>I've been trying to work out the difference between accident and
>wetness/solids, but I can't. As far as I can tell, the euphemism
>"accident" requires a change of pitch to get the intended meaning;

I don't agree.  For me at least (or for me when my kids were at the
relevant age), "accident" really has acquired a separate sense (the
OED's 1d, termed "colloq." and glossed as 'an untimely call of
nature'.  The change of pitch amounting to scare quotes is possible
but not necessary the way it is for "problem" = 'E.D.'

>otherwise, your interlocutor believes there really was an accident. So
>it seems like "accident" is the same as "problem," though "accident"
>doubtlessly has many more citations and a richer history.
>
>I sure agree that you need a diaper context to get wetness/solids, but
>is this simply an issue of frequency or is there something more
>important at issue?
>
>BB

I think the last point is the key; if the local "diaper context" is
necessary, the narrowing reflects use rather a meaning shift.  To
shift examples, it would be as if "drink" were only interpreted as
specifically referring to alcoholic beverages when you're in a bar,
and not when you mutter "I sure could use a drink" at a faculty
meeting.

One analogy comes from the interpretation of compounds. 30 years ago
Pam Downing published a nice paper in Language in which she
distinguished "deictic compounds", which get their interpretation
from a local context--"apple juice seat" for a seat in front of which
a glass of apple juice had been placed, "starch bowl" in Julia
Child's references to the bowl in which a mixture of cornstarch and
other ingredients were to be placed in the course of a recipe, and so
on. (It's easy to find examples from newspaper headlines which are
interpretable only if you've been following the story, e.g. "Ferrari
woman" in the headline of a story about the legal wrangling involving
a woman whose will specified that she be buried in her Ferrari).
These may eventually become lexicalized, but there's no guarantee.
Similarly, the deictic instances of denominal verbs in Eve and Herb
Clark's _Language_ 1969 article "When Nouns Surface as Verbs".

In both cases, the formations are created when necessary and can even
catch on within a larger speech community under certain circumstances
as opposed to remaining one-off, nonce forms like some of Downing's
or the Clarks' cases. I agree that it's a slippery slope and that
there are marginal cases, but the distinction between lexicalized and
non- (or not-yet-) lexicalized formations is a real one, and the
necessity of invoking the local context of use to obtain the intended
interpretation plays a crucial role.

LH