coffin pronunciation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 14 00:18:52 UTC 2008

At 3:29 PM -0400 3/13/08, Baker, John wrote:
>         I distinguish cot/caught, and I've spent the last few minutes
>saying "coffin" aloud and listening to myself.  The vowel sounds are the
>same, but the f sound in "coffin" is slightly different from the f sound
>in "coughin'" - more emphatic, somehow.  The lower lip placement is not
>quite the same.  Can anyone explain to me what's going on with that?

I don't know, but I think that's what I was getting at too when I
said they're both open-o for me but intuitively not quite homophones.
My wife (< Greenwich/Stamford, CT) claims that she would never say
"coughin'" (only "coughing"), but if she really had to, it would be a
homophone of "coffin".  I could be wrong about my own non-homophone
claim--the difference, if it exists, is very subtle.

LH