coffin pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 15 19:14:01 UTC 2008

Actually it's the reverse.  See Bert Vaux’s American Dialect study at
http://www4.uwm.edu//FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html
It has maps of dialect areas.  Number 28 is the caught/cot question.  It shows western prevalence for pronouncing cot/caught the same.

The data show that 61% of Americans pronounce cot/caught differently.  How the merger is getting so much play in the media is baffling to me.  Must be a westernbroadcast export.  It is not a good thing.  It needlessly creates homonyms which interfere with clearest communications.  I hope no one is teaching that dropping "awe" for "ah" is a good thing.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.