coffin pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 15 20:46:22 UTC 2008

My take is that the "o" in "forest" and "orange" is a separate phoneme ~or (as influenced by "r") from "awe" , not an allophone.  The sound is between "awe" and "oh".  In fact for "r-droppers" the word "more" can be anywhere from "moe" to "maw", depending on accent.  But under the influence of "r" the "o" gets a different value, as in floor, more, boar, order.  The same with ~er and ~air.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: coffin pronunciation
>
> At 7:14 PM +0000 3/15/08, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>>Actually it's the reverse.
>>See Bert Vaux's American Dialect study at
>>http://www4.uwm.edu//FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html
>>It has maps of dialect areas. Number 28 is the caught/cot question.
>>It shows western prevalence for pronouncing cot/caught the same.
>

> Actually, that's not quite right. Two different issues are involved
> here, which you're treating as the same issue. It's long been
> recognized that the cot/caught merger is more likely to appear in
> western U.S. English than in the eastern states. But if you've been
> reading this thread, you'll have seen that a number of the
> northeastern respondents are claiming that (i) they do make the
> distinction in environments like "caught" vs. "cot" (open-o vs. /a/
> respectively) but (ii) they pronounce "coffin" with the open-o. I'm
> in that group, along with several others who wrote in; in fact, I
> probably exhibit considerable variation in my pronunciation of
> "coffin", as well as in rhotic environments ("forest", "orange"), as
> also discussed here in the past. This doesn't mean I merge "caught"
> and "cot" (or "wrought" and "rot"), though.
>
> LH
>

>>The data show that 61% of Americans pronounce cot/caught
>>differently. How the merger is getting so much play in the media is
>>baffling to me. Must be a westernbroadcast export. It is not a
>>good thing. It needlessly creates homonyms which interfere with
>>clearest communications. I hope no one is teaching that dropping
>>"awe" for "ah" is a good thing.
>>
>>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
>>See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems"
>>at authorhouse.com.

>>>-----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: Rowan McMullin
>>> Subject: Re: coffin pronunciation

>>> In the midwest, most of the people I've heard (who make a distinction, that
>>> is, between /a/ and open-o) still pronounce "coffin" with an open-o. To me,
>>> pronouncing it with an /a/ sounds like an east-coast thing.
>>>
>>> -Rowan

>>Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live.
>>http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_012008

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star power.