distance linguistics courses

Patricia Cukor-Avila pcavila at UNT.EDU
Thu Mar 20 03:11:14 UTC 2008

The University of North Texas has 2 100% online LING courses, one intro. course at the undergraduate level (LING 3060) and one advanced intro. course at the upper undergraduate/graduate level (LING 4040/5040).  LING 4040/5040 won a 2005 WebCT Exemplary Course Award.  Both of these are 3 credit courses.  You can find info. at www.untecampus.com.  Right now these courses are listed under College of Arts and Sciences/English (because Linguistics was in the English Dept.).  We have just gotten our own department (as of the fall 2008 semester Linguistics will be in the Dept. of Linguistics and Technical Communication) so we'll be much easier to find.  I'd be happy to provide more info. on how to register if anyone is interested.

Tricia

Patricia Cukor-Avila, Chair
Linguistics Division
University of North Texas
Department of English
P.O. Box 311307
Denton, TX  76203-1307

pcavila at unt.edu
(940) 565-4577 (office)
(940) 565-4355 (fax)
>>> James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA> 03/19/08 7:48 PM >>>
I'm just curious as to whether, and if so from where, one can take
accredited, worthwhile university credit courses in linguistics
online or by other distance education means. I'm aware that MIT makes
many course materials available free online, but as far as I know you
can't get credit for their courses unless you're a regular student
showing up in person etc. -- i.e., you can't register and take the
courses online. Or am I wrong? And what about elswhere? US, Canada,
UK, Australia, NZ?

Thanks,
James Harbeck.