the long vowels as monophthongs

Benjamin Barrett gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sun May 4 00:57:03 UTC 2008

Those are what are referred to as diphthongs. BB

On May 3, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      the long vowels as monophthongs
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The long vowels as one sound - monophthongs.  Go to the the link
> below.  I express the long vowels as I say them, and as I believe is
> the majority form in USA.  They are monophthongs to me.  Click on
> the play arrow twice to hear play.  If you can identify the phoneme
> in one sound, it's a monophthong.

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list