Daub (Mud dauber)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 16 14:03:25 UTC 2008

In bingo there is a wide-point  (3/4 inch diam) ink pen that is used to mark cards with one push.  It's usually called a dauber ~dauber, but I like calling it a dabber ~daber.  However it's not called a dobber ~daaber, which is a float attached to fishing line that bobs when fish bite (unless of course mispronounced by the awe-droppers).

Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:55:37 -0500
> From: dwhause at JOBE.NET
> Subject: Re: Daub (Mud dauber)
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Dave Hause
> Subject: Re: Daub (Mud dauber)
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I'm familiar with a wasp called a mud dauber (and that's the only definition
> in the NOAD by my chair.) Where does a bird go by that name? Species?
> Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
> Waynesville, MO
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Your Name"
> "Daub" includes dealing with liquids that way; but consider the bird called
> a mud-dauber; it daubs a solid (tho somewhat moist) substance.
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list