ADS-L Digest - 21 May 2008 to 22 May 2008 (#2008-144)

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Fri May 23 04:23:47 UTC 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> "The   tornado ripped _rooves_ off buildings."
>
> "_Rooves_" appears to  be  becoming more and more common.

I personally haven't heard  "rooves" since probably the late 1960's,  when we
were taught that form  in grade school.  I remember deciding for  myself in
high school  that "roofs" sounded better and made more sense, and that  I'd
use it until  someone told me to stop (probably via a  teacher marking it wrong
on a  paper, or by that which has more  authority: a peer making fun of me
for
saying it).  Neither ever happened,  so I've been saying "roofs"  ever since
- and so has everyone else I know.   I literally have not  heard or read that
term
from then till tonight, upon  reading the  above.  So it seems to me that
it's
becoming less common, not   more.

Rosemarie

But if I put all my stuff away, I'll forget  where everything is!  -- Bil
Keane

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.