News reader:

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 29 14:37:09 UTC 2008

> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I asked you not to tell me that! Besides, Poul Anderson, the author of
> >> one of my favorite stories, "The Un-Man," was a science-fiction
> >> writer, not a literary giant whose style affected the usage of others.

I replied

> > False dichotomy! He was both.

Wilson asked:
> In what sense?

I don't think you believe that "sf writer" and "literary giant" are by
definition mutually exclusive, so I won't go into that. He wasn't in
the league of Shakespeare or Milton, but who is? The sf community has
recognized his stature for, oh hell, all my reading life? ... and
officially for... let's say thirty years at least:

    * Gandalf Grand Master (1978)
    * Hugo Award (seven times)
    * John W. Campbell Memorial Award (2000)
    * Nebula Award (three times)
    * Pegasus Award (best adaptation, with Anne Passovoy) (1998)
    * Prometheus Award (four times, including Special Prometheus Award
for Lifetime Achievement in 2001)
    * SFWA Grand Master Award (1997)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poul_anderson#Awards)

That implies a lot of influence on others.

"Hoofs" isn't part of this. That was in one line of one poem,* which I
know well because I wrote a setting for it; I don't know if he used
that plural elsewhere, but I noticed it there because I use "hooves"
when I need it.

* The Ballade of Losers' Night, by François Villon, by Poul Anderson.
This is a ballade composed and recited in the course of the story
Losers' Night by the medieval poet François Villon.

m a m