Non-standard constructions wanted

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Nov 12 11:02:49 UTC 2008

I've been having a tip-of-the-tongue block, and need help.  I know there are examples (aside from negative concord) of grammatical patterns that occur in the non-standard speech of rural Americans in widely disparate regions of the US and Canada.  I recall, when I lived in Southern Illinois in the eighties and nineties, hearing expressions and constructions that I had heard from classmates in Toronto that were decried by our teachers in the fifties.  But for the life of me I can't retrieve any.  One other example I have come up with is 'borrow' with reversed theta-roles ('Suzy borrowed me a book'=loaned).  But I know there are lots of others, and I need some examples for an abstract I'm working on.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe send them directly to me and I'll summarize to the list.

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)