"call someone out of their name"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 29 19:57:18 UTC 2008

If it's in the OED or the Archives, I couldn't find it. I've encountered this idiom a number of times, solely in AAVE.  This ex. seems unusually early.

1898  Sioux City Journal (Oct. 14) 3: Now just you look here, sergeant....Just mind who you're addressin'....Don't you call me out o' my name, 'cause it don't go, see?

It means "to insult someone by addressing them by anything other than their proper name."   In the cited incident, the recruit was addressed as (the then-unfamiliar) "rookie."
The speaker is almost certainly white.

JL