Wikipedia Unsure Whether African-American Should Be A A, A-A, A-a

Doug_Harris cats22 at STNY.RR.COM
Tue Oct 21 12:27:55 UTC 2008

Geez, we finally got _that_ cleared up!
Further speaking to the general ignorance of the 'lady' who said Barack is
"an Arab" is the fact that an Arab, as such, as opposed to being, say, a
hyphenated American with Arab roots, isn't eligible to run for president,
either.
Regarding the 'not black enough' issue, I'm sure you were referring to the
likes of his viewpoints, attitudes and so forth, as opposed to pigmentation.
There is, though, as you know, diametrically opposed views within the
so-called black society, regarding the issue of skin color. On the one hand,
there's the view that -- as Cassius Clay said to me one day, before he
became Muhammad Ali -- "the blacker the berry, the better the fruit": A
prejudice against lighter-skinned blacks. At the same time, some within
that community seem to favor people of pinker pigmentation within their
community. I believe similar light leanings exist as well in communities
where the (pinkish)'white man' isn't a dominating issue. Strange, that.
dh

Benjamin Barrett wrote:
After looking back, I see what the problem is. I said that Barack is a
recent immigrant when I meant that his immigration roots are fairly
recent. I thought that meaning is clear because immigrants are not
eligible to become president, but I should have been more careful. Mea
culpa.

Getting back to the point: The conversation was about African-
Americans descended from people from Africa from more than 100 years
ago versus recent immigrants from Africa.

I said that the term "African-American" more easily accommodates
recent immigrants from Africa that the term "black", and another data
point that supports this is the people who claim that Barack isn't (or
might not be) black enough. This indicates that people feel there is
something different between having African roots and being a member of
the black community.

Expanded disclosure: I have an aunt who use to pal around with
Governor Palin several years ago at the gym and I myself have lived in
Wasilla, though it was so long ago I can't remember how many "l"s it
has. BB