OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 16 18:27:38 UTC 2008

>I know the third example as,
>
>"It's an ill wind that blows _nobody_ good"
>
>which seems one-sidedly clear to me:
>
>If something happens that's so bad that _nobody_ can make a buck off
>it, then it's got to be bad beyond measure! I.e. the companies that
>repair the damage done by such ill winds as hurricanes make billions
>of dollars.

My understanding of "It's an ill wind that blows no good" is similar,
i.e. it would be unusually rare if even something that appears to be
a general disaster [e.g. the collapse of the financial markets]
doesn't have some benefit for someone [e.g. the interest rate is
lowered].  In this respect, it's similar to "Every cloud has a silver
lining".  But this requires a now moribund if not dead reading of
"ill" and the non-referential understanding of the subject pronoun.
If that pronoun is read referentially (cf. the variant "That's an ill
wind..."), you get the negative interpretation.

LH