OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 17 01:10:21 UTC 2008

Well, it does require a little effort on the part of the hearer /
reader. Nevertheless, it's probably less than that required of the
uninitiated in order to understand it than that required by, e.g. the
well-known, Mozartian work, "Greek Grice." :-)

OTOH, the total collapse of the U.S. financial system is an ill wind, indeed.

-Wilson

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"
>
>>I know the third example as,
>>
>>"It's an ill wind that blows _nobody_ good"
>>
>>which seems one-sidedly clear to me:
>>
>>If something happens that's so bad that _nobody_ can make a buck off
>>it, then it's got to be bad beyond measure! E.g. the companies that
>>repair the damage done by such ill winds as hurricanes make billions
>>of dollars.
>
> My understanding of "It's an ill wind that blows no good" is similar,
> i.e. it would be unusually rare if even something that appears to be
> a general disaster [e.g. the collapse of the financial markets]
> doesn't have some benefit for someone [e.g. the interest rate is
> lowered].  In this respect, it's similar to "Every cloud has a silver
> lining".  But this requires a now moribund if not dead reading of
> "ill" and the non-referential understanding of the subject pronoun.
> If that pronoun is read referentially (cf. the variant "That's an ill
> wind..."), you get the negative interpretation.
>
> LH
>

>>Apparently, rappers and hip-hoppers understand it that way, given that
>>"ill" is superior to "bad" in reverse slang.
>>
>>OTOH, I don't have the slightest idea as to what is exemplified as an
>>antedating in this, there being much with which I am unfamiliar in it:
>>
>>  "Local Matters" Bangor Daily Whig & Courier, (Bangor, ME) Monday,
>>April 17, 1882; Issue 89; col 4
>>"The subject of the lessons to-day will be as follows:  high class, puff
>>paste, oysters vol au vent, potato croquettes, dressed haddocks, white
>>sauce, stork for jelly and fish a la conquest; plain class, boiled apple
>>pudding, stewed steak, haddock stuffed and baked, boiled vegetables and
>>treacle tart."
>>
>>-Wilson
>>
>>-Wilson
>>

>>On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Laurence Horn
>><laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>>>  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>-----------------------
>>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  > Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>>  Subject:      Re: OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"
>>>
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>  Actually, I could never figure out which was the original version,
>>>  since I don't know enough about agricultural or botanical issues to
>>>  determine whether a rotten apple does or doesn't affect the others in
>>>  the same barrel or bag.  I suppose we can apply for funding and do
>>>  the study, controlling for different apple varieties and degrees of
>>>  rottenness.  The season is coming right up!
>>>
>>>  LH
>>>
>>>  P.S.  Another issue with these proverbs is figuring out whether
>>>  they're intended as a direction or a warning.  We may have discussed
> [...]

-----
-Mark Twain