themselfs / themselve

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Apr 29 11:34:29 UTC 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Larry Horn wrote:

> At 10:33 PM -0400 4/28/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>> "to themselfs"??!
>
> Well, there's "themselves" as the reflexive for third person specific
> plural "they", there's "themself" for third person singular "they",
> and apparently there's "themselfs" for third person general plural
> "they", which is sort of in between.  Or not.

from my files:

heard one instance on the radio.  then googled:

7/28/07: 340,000 raw webhits, e.g.

Answer "How do vampire bats protect themselfs?" If you can't offer a
complete answer it's still helpful to get things started and point
people in the ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_vampire_bats_protect_themselfs

Or could someone make another forum just so people can advertise
themselfs and people who are trying to find work can do it easier. ...
www.theatre.asn.au/theatre_classifieds/will_people_please_stop_advertising_themselfs_on_the_forums

These crazy guys are going to kill themselfs one day... Posted by:
Travis Whidden
www.badassride.com/Home/tabid/340/EntryID/45/Default.aspx

Who has ever tried to "please themselfs oraly?" P101: Boys Puberty
Forum.
forums.govteen.com/showthread.php?p=3824864

Why do people post old pictures of themselfs in their profile
www.kisscafe.com/answers/readquestion/1171

anyone else finding themselfs in the habit of spelling "the" "teh"
outside of OJ? Open Jam.
acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1498953

>  And the beauty part is
> that still leaves "themselve" for future use.

that day is already here.  from my files: