More on "moist" OT - spelling

M Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Sun Aug 9 15:35:42 UTC 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> My mind conjers (spellcheck says congers) up warm, moist, chewy
> chocolate chip cookies.  Quite pleasant, I think.
> For the top 5k words of English (Collins Cobuild) there is no word
> with tradstreeng "ong" that takes "soft g" ~j.  The word "conger"
> didn't make the top 5k.  80% of the "ng" tradstreengz are in "ing".
> (a tradstreeng is a bunch of letters in a row in tradspel
> (traditional spelling)).

you've confused conger/conjure

your spell check figured you were trying to write about an eel. "conger"

the word your'e looking for is "conjure."

as for the rarity of <ong> followed by the affricate : how about
congeal, congenial, longevity, nongenerator, ponge...  5k words
doesn't make for that interesting a corpus.