evangelical verbs

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Wed Aug 12 10:21:55 UTC 2009

I was wondering if anyone knows about any studies of lexical/semantic
change in the (American) English of evangelical Christians.  Searching lots
of relevant words on google gives me too much about interpretation of
scripture and too little about how people talk today.

I'm thinking of things like these, from here:
<http://www.duggarfamily.com/faq.html>

(1) the truths from God's Word being taught through Mr. Sammons began to
_convict me of_ my need to "owe no man anything but love."

(convict me = give me the conviction )

(2) We purpose to go out for a lunch or dinner date weekly.

(purpose to = set out with the purpose to;  like 'try' but without as much
space for failure?)

I'm thinking of setting this as a topic for an undergraduate dissertation
this year--looking at, perhaps, the metalinguistic commentaries on their
use in the community and the relation to readings of scripture.  I think
those kinds of sources are findable, and I suspect that if I hunt through
past issues of 'Among the new words' I'll find some info too.  But any tips
on linguistic/lexicographical commentary on the phenomenon would be
gratefully received.

I purpose to gratitude anyone who knowledges me forward.

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Arts B357