slang is mandatory sometimes

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 13 16:28:13 UTC 2009

>>Hooray for barbarisms, right Jonathan?<<

If by "barbarisms" you mean linguistic innovations that I appreciate and
find useful but others don't, the answer is yes. If you mean the opposite,
the answer is no.

JL

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM, David K. Barnhart <dbarnhart at highlands.com
> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "David K. Barnhart" <dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM>
> Subject:      slang is mandatory sometimes

> >.An interesting quotation from Rich Cohen's Israel is Real:
>

> >"Now the Jews have returned their holy idea to the street, where, as is
> happening with the >Hebrew language, it has been barbarized and filled with
> slang."
>

> Slang is not barbarizing, in my humble opinion.  It's the salt, pepper
> (including sometimes cayenne) of communication.  Without slang our language
> would be dull as dishwater.  Bring on the barbarisms.
>

> Hooray for barbarisms, right Jonathan?
>

> Regards,
>
> David
>

> Barnhart at highlands.com

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"