gump

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 13 06:28:25 UTC 2009

I haven't. But I do recall a Sunday comic named The Gumps. The members of
the Gump family differed from ordinary people only to the extent that they
were chinless.

-Wilson

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Randy Alexander
<strangeguitars at gmail.com>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      gump

> I have some kids reading The Marvelous Land of Oz, and in that book there
> is
> an elk-like creature called a "gump".  In the OED, I only see this word
> referring to 1) a dolt, 2) a chicken, and 3) a short form of "gumption".
> Has anyone seen this word referring to an elk-like animal anywhere else?
>
> --
> Randy Alexander
> Jilin City, China
> Blogs:
> Manchu studies: http://www.bjshengr.com/manchu
> Chinese characters: http://www.bjshengr.com/yuwen

-Wilson
–––
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"––a strange complaint to come
from the mouths of people who have had to live.
–Mark Twain