Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 12 11:17:34 UTC 2009

I have some kids reading The Marvelous Land of Oz, and in that book there is
an elk-like creature called a "gump".  In the OED, I only see this word
referring to 1) a dolt, 2) a chicken, and 3) a short form of "gumption".
Has anyone seen this word referring to an elk-like animal anywhere else?

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China
Manchu studies:
Chinese characters:

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list