I before E except when it's not

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 27 19:05:15 UTC 2009

The lady from m-w.com speaking on "i before e" says "exactly" and "except" beginning with a short e.  M-w.com mandates a short i.

Main Entry: ex·act·ly
Pronunciation: \ig-ˈzak-(t)lē\

Main Entry: 1ex·cept
Pronunciation: \ik-ˈsept\

The speakers say short i agreeing with the script.  This may be UK English but not typical USA I would say.  Many words are like this and no secondary pronunciation is given even though representative from m-w.com speak short e instead of short i.

Basically this is an error.  Short e should be first and short i secondary pronunciation.  Does anyone say igzample?

Main Entry: 1ex·am·ple
Pronunciation: \ig-ˈzam-pəl\

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/