I before E except when it's not

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 28 01:21:41 UTC 2009

Listening to the accents from the four m-w videos at
http://www.merriam-webster.com/video/asktheeditor.htm
(~ = truespel notation)
These pronunciation choices are very typical US English.  Some are said differently than m-w.com says to say them.  How do you say "linguist"?

“affect – effect”     by ~Emulee Bruester~
Very clear standard US accent.  Good speaking voice.

Did “awe” (~au)  -  all ~aul, often ~aufin
Did  “ah” (~aa) for  ask ~aask
Did ~shin mostly for –ion ending  -  ~definnishin ~eksplinnaeshin
Did both ~eeng and ~ing for “ing” endings
Did ~e not ~i for initial “e” - ~eksplinnaeshin  ~eksklluesivlee
Did a ~t ending where glottal “t” might be expected,  straight right
Did typical ~d for “t” swaps   - ~negudiv ~ubbilidee

“I before E”   by ~Koree Stamper~
Very clear standard US accent.  Good speaking voice.

Did  a USA short a for ask= ~ask instead of UK ~aask
Did ~eeng for ~Eenglish ~taukeeng  ~speleeng
Did “awe” for ~straung ~tauk, but not for "albeit" ~aalbbeeyit
Did both ~ikssept and ~ekssept for “except”
Did ~d for “t” swaps - ~kumppairudivz  ~suepperludivz
Did a ~t not glottal for height ~hiet and albeit
Did “language” with long a ~laengwij (as in "lay")
did "is is" once or twice. I've heard a few folks habitually do this.

Michael Jackson and Classical Roots by ~Peeter Saakullouskee~
Very clear standard US accent.  Good speaking voice.

Did ~ask for ask
Did ~aul for all, ~aulsoe for also
Did ~fer for for
Did ~Eenglish and ~thheenkeeng
Did typical glottals, ~Bri’in for Britain and La’in for Latin
Did “be-“ different ways - begin ~beeggin, behind ~buhhiend
Did “re-“ as ~ri  -  remained ~rimmaend, resuscitate ~rissusitaet
Did ~lingwwisdik but at m-w.com the speaker says ~leengwwistik

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/