"Break bad": 2; "break nasty": 0

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 1 02:22:32 UTC 2009

No doubt, Ben. Thank you for the correction. WRT to the meaning, that
could certainly vary from place to place and from time to time. I
first heard both "break nasty" and "break bad" in Los Angeles in the
'Sixties, where they both pretty much meant the same as the old, even
when I was but a tad, "jump salty." IIRC, "break nasty" implied a
certain element of surprise or unexpectedness. I.e. :

"I was just asking him could he loan me a Benny and the dude broke
nasty on me, man!"

That is, instead of saying some expectedly-conciliatory bullshit like:

"Aw, man, shoot! I can't do you no solid. If I had the bread, I'd
*make* you take it!"

the dude said something unexpectedly hostile like:

"Get out my face, broke-assed motherfucker! Why don't you get you a
job or something, instead of always be
begging?!"

As opposed to something like:

"If you're going to be hitting on another stud's old lady, you got to
be *knowing* that he's going to break bad on your disrespecting ass!"

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain