All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 05:27:33 UTC 2009

Thanks Neal,

You say: So let's suppose that the vowel in "sing" really is [i]. In that case, what is it thatdistinguishes "sing" from "seen"?

I foespel (phonetically spell) in truespel "sing" as ~seeng and "seen" as ~seen.  The "n" in "sing" is velar and the tip is the g (which is velar-ish too), whether its a strong or weak one.
Take the words "ingot" and "ingrain".  They are foespeld ~eengit and ~ingraen.  It's as though the vowels determine whether the "n" is velar or not.

see truespel.com

http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_022009