relative "that" again

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 15:52:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Randy Alexander
<strangeguitars at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: relative "that" again
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would expect "now" to be stressed wherever it's used, and BPB
>> rendering of Psalm 121 uses "not" in both stressed and unstressed
>> positions.  In v. 4 the stressed "not" is postverbal, which is a
>> marked position for it.  I'm looking for a searchable copy of the BPB
>> to check further on the use of "that."
>
> If you find any, let me know; all I've found so far are PDFs of
> original editions, and one useless OCR attempt.
>
> I didn't want to say without anything to back it up (it's been 13
> years since I've spent much time with this sort of thing), but the
> stress in these early English metrical Psalms are not so strict, for
> example Psalm X:7-8:
>
> 7. His mouth with cursing filled is,
>    deceits and fallacy:
>    under his tongue perverseness is,
>    also iniquity.
> 8. In the close places of the towns
>    he sits, in secret dens
>    he slays the harmless: 'gainst the poor
>    slyly his eyes down bends.
>
> Stress on the second syllables of "under", "also", and "slyly", and
> stress on "the"!
>
> Haven't found any other headless relatives yet.

I had a feeling I'd find one just after I sent that.

Psalm 14:4:
4. The workers of iniquities,
    have they no knowledge all?
    that eat my people: they eat bread,
    an on God do not call.

This could however just be an example of inserting something between
the antecedent and the relative clause: The workers of iniquities
[have they no knowledge all?] that eat my people.  So maybe it's less
remarkable than the one you found.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China