Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 22 20:36:43 UTC 2009

Larry wrote, replying to Gerald Walton [full context below]:

> Or would these all be acceptable to cite because invoking them would involve not *using* but *mentioning* obscene words?

I think so. He and Scot(?) both DID say "use", and all your examples
are mentions. The difference, of course, is enormous. In explaining it
to non-linguists in the context of taboo words, I've successfully used
the analogy of a forensic chemist who WORKS WITH poisons and toxins
all the time, but never USES them on himself or others.

  forensic chemistry : work with :: linguistics : mention

m a m