pron of Worcester, MA

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Feb 27 04:43:08 UTC 2009

As a slight digression, the thing I always found most interesting
about Worcester when I lived in Boston was not its pronunciation --
which I was used to from Worcestershire sauce -- but the fact that it
was common for people to explain, "It's spelled Worchester but
pronounced Wista." Not "Wor-cest-er" but "Wor-chest-er." Quite a lot
of people seemed to have the definite idea that there was an h after
the c. Similar, I imagine, to the common idea in Toronto that there's
a g after then n in Eglinton.

James Harbeck.