strangled

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Jul 2 03:24:40 UTC 2009

I think the accepted proper usage is exactly the opposite. To strangle
someone is to kill them by choking. To be hanged is to die by hanging. To be
drowned is to die by water filling the lungs.

Only "shot" and "stone" may result in the victim living.

I can't find this in any of my usage manuals though.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Tom Zurinskas
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:02 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: strangled

I jsut read news about about someone that was strangled and I still have to
ask "to death?".  The assumption of the news writer is that it's to death,
but it's entirely possible to be strangled and survive.  Maybe it's me, but
but I need to see "to death".  It's like being shot, stoned, even hanged.

see truespel.com
Windows LiveT: Keep your life in sync.