"Le-a"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 2 07:16:34 UTC 2009

Well, not quite. I was aiming for phonetics and not phonology. I could
have gone with eye-phonetics and written "LAY dale," I speck. Prolly
would have been clearer. Hale fie!

As far as I've noticed, "speck is sometimes written literarily as
"expect." IMO, it should be "suspect." But the *only* actual
pronunciation that I've *ever* heard is "speck." Possibly some serious
historical philology could pin it down. But given that I *personally*
have heard only "speck" and that that certainly could once have been
"expect," that it's actually derived from "suspect" is merely my
personal opinion, one that I came to when I was perhaps four or five.
I don't know of any reason why I should change that opinion, but I'm
certainly open to clear evidence that "speck" really *is* derived from
"expect."

BTW, everybody recalls Byron De La Beckwith, right? In whose name "De
La" was a middle name pronounced "DEE lay"? Wal, the name of the
letter "a" is "ay," I reckon.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Mark Mandel<thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "Le-a"
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Down in Texas, I had a cousin, Ladell ['le"de at l], one of the few black
>> marines of WWII,
>
> /'le,dEl/, yes?
>
> m a m

-Wilson