"Le-a"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 2 14:15:48 UTC 2009

At 3:16 AM -0400 7/2/09, Wilson Gray wrote:

>BTW, everybody recalls Byron De La Beckwith, right? In whose name "De
>La" was a middle name pronounced "DEE lay"? Wal, the name of the
>letter "a" is "ay," I reckon.
>
>-Wilson

A prosecutor (and/or assistant DA) in Scott Turow's _Presumed
Innocent_ is named De La Guardia, and is regularly referred to (we're
told) as "Delay Guardia" (DEE-lay Guardia in the movie version), but
that's because he was never ready to proceed and always looking for
excuses to ask for continuances in his cases.  Proves the point, I
suppose.

LH