sharing

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 7 18:28:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Zulu pidgin for "I'm a little teapot...."

Dammit, you got me a-searchin'! Mudcat Cafe, of course. This is the song I
learned from Marais & Miranda recordings.

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=2769#1949082
==========
*Subject:* Lyr Add: ZULU WARRIOR (from Marais and Miranda)
*From: <http://www.mudcat.org/help.cfm?helpitem=from>*
Q<http://www.mudcat.org/usersearch.cfm?who=Q>
*Date:* 26 Jan 07 - 05:08 PM

Gee, this whole long thread and no Marais & Miranda lyrics.
-----
*THE ZULU WARRIOR*
Marais and Miranda

March tempo
I-kama zimba zimba zayo
I-kama zimba zimba zee,
I-kama zimba zimba zayo,
I-kama zimba, zimba,
See him there, the Zulu warrior,
See him there, the Zulu chief, chief, chief
See him there, the Zulu warrior,
See him there, the Zulu chief, chief, chief, chief
I-kama zimba, I-kama zimba
Zikama zimba layo zee,...
Wah! chief, chief, chief, chief!
Wah!

Optional second voice:
I-kamazimba zimba zayo
I-kama zimba zimba zee
I-kama zimba zimba zayo
I-kama zimba zimba zee,
and etc.
With score. Marais and Miranda, Folk Song Jamboree, pp. 62-64, Ballantine
Books pb.

Note- "AFRIKAANS ORIGIN. During the so-called Kafir War, the British
soldiers sang "Hold him down the Swazi warrior." I substituted Zulu as being
a more familiar name, and brighter "nonsense" words than I used to hear as a
child. This is NOT a native chant, but rather an imitation of the type of
chanting heard by the settlers. I would call it a pickniekliedjie, a picnic
song. During World War II, American GI's sang it in conjunction with South
African troops in North Africa." Marais.
-----

Bert, way up above, seems to have some of the older words Marais is talking
about.

Words and music by Josef Marais, copyright 1946 and 1952 by Dartmouth Music,
Inc.

m a m
50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s folkie (and 90s and 00s filker)