Pairing "biased" media

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 11 18:58:25 UTC 2009

Are you old enough to remember PM, Joel? When I was young, PM was the
"white" newspaper of choice among blacks, IME. For some reason, -
probably because I was so young, at the time, the I have a *very*
clear memory of "Barnaby" (I thought that his name was pronounced "bar
NAY bee") and his fairy godfather, "Mr. O'Malley."

-Wilson

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: Pairing "biased" media
>
> Victor's suggestions are useful. Â And I must remember the Boston
> Herald, the newspaper of record in my (and my friend's) metropolitan
> area, and accessible--at least the day's issue--to her
> students. Â (It's remarkable how few libraries hold copies of the
> Herald beyond a few days or weeks.)
>
> But I'm hoping first of all for bias, apparent or hidden, in
> "reporting"; I'll turn to "opinion" second.
>
> The simplest assignment might be to say "Find the same event reported
> in the Herald and the Globe, and compare". Â Or maybe PM (alas;
> although there's a new biography of I. F. Stone) and the Daily News.
>
> Joel
>
> At 7/11/2009 01:17 PM, Victor wrote:
>>Hmmm... Fox vs. CNN is not really a fair comparison of *bias*. CNN may
>>appear neutral on average, but that does not mean that that they are
>>uniformly neutral. Lou Dobbs is always a great source of xenophobic
>>bias, so it's not exactly "opposite" from Fox. The same is true of
>>NYT--depends on topic and human subject, although columns usually show
>>bias (see below). For the most part, however, CNN may appear biased (to
>>the left) only to those who regularly watch Fox News.
>>
>>On the other hand, if print sources are desired, Washington Times and
>>WSJ editorial page are great sources of bias in one direction. Boston
>>Herald and NYPost columnists are also a good source of bias on the
>>right. On the other side, most (but not all) columnists in the Boston
>>Globe. NYT is one of many who try to balance their editorial content.
>>Once you know who the conservative columnists are (and exclude Maureen
>>Dowd from consideration), the rest can be used for left-leaning bias.
>>
>>Generally, there are several sources that collect "conservative"
>>columnists. The two largest (and largely overlapping) are Townhall.com
>>and JewishWorldReview.com--BYO regurgitation receptacle. I can't really
>>think of a comparable source on the left. Of course, if you really want
>>deteriorating prose and constant insults, there are always blogs.
>>
>> Â  Â VS-)
>>
>>Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>>>Also Fox vs. CNN. Â Fo also goes out of its way to bash the N.Y. Times
>>>whenever possible.
>>>
>>>You have to be very observant to ascertain that Fox and CNN are reporting on
>>>the same country.
>>>
>>>JL
>>>
>>>On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>A friend wants to teach a session on bias in the media in her ESL
>>>class. Â She would like to have pairs (one or more on each side) of
>>>media outlets (or whatever they're called) that have diametrically
>>>opposed biases/slants/opinions -- television, newspaper, and magazine
>>>pairs. Â Particularly outlets that let bias creep into their
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain