first ever!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 20 02:55:50 UTC 2009

At 10:08 PM -0400 7/19/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>ISTM that Victor's point hinges on the perception that the "ever" in "first
>ever" always serves to stress that the NP is the absolute first of its kind
>in that context. Given that perception, the word's use here overrides the
>latitude we normally allow for elliptical headlines(e) and amounts to an
>apparent reference to the first Japanese microscope that ever existed.
>That's how I read it too.
>
>m a m

How about this one, from the first page of g-hits for "first ever":

"First ever size 16 girl reaches Miss England final"

Turns out the young lady in question was not in fact the first ever
size 16 girl, just the first one to reach said final.

A domestic (U.S.) example:
First-Ever Layoffs Loom at Postal Service

I believe it's safe to say they didn't invent layoffs.

Another headline announces "Security Council Holds First-Ever Debate
on Impact of Climate Change"--presumably other groups have had such
debates.

And the Daily Telegraph chimes in:
Bangladesh beat West Indies to win first ever away Test

It's true that the strong majority of "first ever" cites really do
involve absolute first evers.  But the Canadian headline is hardly
one of a kind.

LH