"Soldier"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 1 15:52:23 UTC 2009

Back in the old days, Marines were frequently referred to as "soldiers of
the sea." For ex.:

1878 Willard Glazier _Heroes of Three Wars_ (Phila.: Hubbard, 1880) 361: Six
hundred ships garrisoned the coast of the United States, and fifty-one
thousand soldiers of the sea garrisoned the ships.

Whether a "soldier of the sea" is logically equivalent to a "soldier" is a
question I'll leave to others.

JL