either

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 11 21:15:52 UTC 2009

At 2:30 PM -0500 3/11/09, Jocelyn Limpert wrote:
>Oh, my -- I thought that it has disappeared into word "heaven" or "hell"
>years ago, whevever currently "dead" words or pronunciations go when they
>lose their life.
>
>It always sounded so pretenscious -- sort of like pronouncing "tomato" with
>the "ah" sound, as opposed to the long "a" sound.
>
>It for some reason reminds me of people trying to use "proper" speech, which
>is more often than not incorrect -- as in saying "between him and I" for
>"between him and me" -- that sort of thing.

Maybe it's a regional matter, but growing up in
New York I heard "eether" [iD at r] and "eyether"
[ayD at r] more or less interchangeably.  The latter
never struck me as particularly pretentious, and
I'm sure I use both pronunciations myself.
"Tomahto" is quite a different matter--British,
pretentious, or both.   (In the UK, "tomahto"
isn't at all pretentious, incidentally, it's just
the way it's pronounced.  And "potahto" only
exists within the song.)

It's fine if you think [ayD at r] sounds pretentious
to you, but you should bear in mind that speakers
of other varieties of the language aren't
necessarily using it in order to be pretentious
or to use proper speech; it's just the way
they/we talk.

LH