"mink" (n.) = 'a black, a Negro'?

Sun May 10 22:22:23 UTC 2009

Oh, come ON!!! I've known white guys nick-named "Mink," and one Korean.
Putting "Negro" in a dictionary entry for "mink" makes no more sense than
putting one there for "coal" or "night" or "pitch" or "jaguar." This is just a
simile, not an etymology.

In a message dated 5/10/09 2:30:08 PM, Berson at ATT.NET writes:

> So we have the etymology; now all we need is to have the sense for
> the noun in the OED.
>
> Joel
>
> At 5/10/2009 02:16 PM, George Thompson wrote:
> > > Nothing on my shelf either, at a glance. But there is/was the
> expression
> > > "black as a mink", which was used early enough (at G. Books from 1815)
> > > and which probably accounts for the "mink" allusion.
> >
> >         New-York General Sessions, Nov. 8.  People vs. Beers. --
> > Beers, a mink-black little negro, and for years an approved waiter
> > in a most respectable porter-house and tavern in Nassau-street, and
> > lately a principal actor in the African corps dramatique, was
> > yesterday tried and convicted of grand larceny.  It has been
> > suggested that his passion for his new pursuit led him to the deed
> > for the purpose of obtaining funds to purchase decorations for his
> theatre.
> >***
> >New-York American, November 10, 1821, p. 2, col. 5
> >
> > > I see a few 19th-century instances of 'black' men named/nicknamed
> "Mink"
> > > (?relevance).
> >
> >I think I recall a Faulkner character named "Mink" -- he would have
> >been a white haracter.
> >
> >GAT
> >
> >George A. Thompson
> >Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre",
> >Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222376999x1201454299/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=May51009AvgfooterNO62)