"and" in numerical expressions

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 13 03:38:25 UTC 2009

In the strict, Lutheran parochial schools I attended, I was taught
that both forms were acceptable, neither one preferred. Such liberal
thought as that was not common in Lutheran parochial schools in the
forties and fifties.

I do find that when counting objects, like railway cars, I tend to use
the "and" variant and when simply counting, as, perhaps, a way of
measuring time, I use the variant without "and."  I have no idea why.
I wasn't overtly taught that distinction.  I think I tend to have a
falling intonation one "a hundred and one" and a phrase intonation on
"one hundred one."  Does anyone say "a hundred one"?  That one sounds
strange to me.

Herb