"Slights of hand" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon May 18 17:23:30 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The Conjuring Arts Research Center (http://www.conjuringarts.org/ ) maintains an online full-text searchable database of magic and related periodicals, books, manuscripts, etc called "AskAlexander" (after the mentalist "Alexander, The Man Who Knows" (Claude Alexander Conlin, http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php/Alexander )).

It is possible to get a sense of the usage of the terms "sleight" and "slight" within the conjuring community from this database.

Found 28361 pages in 2359 documents matching "SLEIGHT OF HAND"
Found 86 pages in 68 documents matching "SLEIGHTS OF HAND"
Found 508 pages in 281 documents matching "SLIGHT OF HAND"
Found 4 pages in 3 documents matching "SLIGHTS OF HAND" [all 4 are 1801 or earlier]

Clearly, "Sleight of hand" is the common, accepted usage.  Other variants are typos, archaic, affectations, and/or non-standard.

If desired, I can probably get a sense of U.S./U.K. usage (by searching within periodicals from America or Britain).