This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 20 05:27:24 UTC 2009

My grandmother, (1897-?) used "Why can't we keep/have anything nice
around here?" My mother, 98, used it a lot, when my brother and I were
children.

When the reconstruction of Widener Library was begun, back in the
'90's, a cardboard sign reading, "No Entrance" was placed on the
former main door to the stack, located by the old circ desk. As time
passed, the sign was eventually left hanging by a single corner, held
by a strip of Scotch tape. One morning, some undergrads, having
forgotten that the old stack entrance was no more, came up to the
door. As they looked at the sign, one commented,

"As my mother would say, 'Why can't we keep anything nice around here?' "

A quick check showed that all members of the circc staff of whatever
age age had heard his/her mother make this same lament.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain