Like an infix, but...

Benjamin Zimmer bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Mon May 25 14:21:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Mark Peters wrote:
> What do you call a mid-word substitution like a-stock-alypse,
> a-crap-alypse, or ar-meh-geddon?
> Is this just another form of infix? I need a terminology infusion
> here... Appreciate any help.

John Algeo, following Harold Wentworth, called such inserted blends "sandwich
words."  I discussed the phenomenon in my 1/24/06 Language Log post "Blawgs,
phonolawgically speaking":

--Ben Zimmer

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list