"People of color" was; Re: Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- or not

Thu May 28 22:58:19 UTC 2009

I know.  It's insane.

In the 19th century, it was not uncommon for Italians, Greeks,
Russian/Polish/etc. Jews, hell, even red-haired, blue-eyed Irish to
be considered "nonwhite" (19c. for "people of color")  too.  And what
are East Indians?  I've known many, when I taught in Singapore, where
they have mostly Tamils and other Dravidians to be of a shade darker
than a lot of African-Americans, and a wife of a friend of mine from
the Delhi area who is lighter skinned than my whole Greek/Jewish/
Scottish father's side of my family.