% of English words from Latin and Greek

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 4 19:50:17 UTC 2009

At 8:39 PM +0100 11/4/09, Stephen Gmail wrote:
>This is digging up very old and unreliable
>memories, but I believe I read at some point
>that about 50 percent of English vocabulary was
>Latinate in origin (including all those French
>words the Normans introduced) and 45 percent
>Anglo-Saxon in origin, while only about 5
>percent came from third languages. Although the
>Anglo-Saxon words were older and were very hard
>to replace with later Latinate/French words, the
>latter normally taking more nuanced meanings
>rather than directly replacing the Anglo-Saxon
>word, the greater Latinate percentage was
>explained by the greater ease of forming new
>words by recombining other words and particles.
>Many - most? - Greek words would have been
>included in the Latinate bunch, I think, having
>been filtered through Latin before reaching
>English, but I'm guessing here. I don't know if
>the old Norse, Dutch, and modern German words
>English absorbed would have been included in the
>Anglo-Saxon group, but I imagine they would.
>That would leave languages like Yiddish (only a
>Germanic half-brother), Hindi, Tahitian, the
>Native American languages, etc.,

Arabic is a non-negligible part of that "etc.",
as I discovered in teaching an intro Words class.

Also, I imagine the fractions will shift
depending on what counts as "English
vocabulary"--for example, if we're doing a type
count from a dictionary, how large a dictionary?
Obviously, the fatter the dictionary, the bigger
the Latinate (or Latinate + Greekate) proportion
of roots...