Most Notable Quotations of 2009

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Sun Nov 8 21:22:23 UTC 2009

Hat-tip to my friend Josh Tauberer of Civic Impulse LLC and GovTrack.us for
this one. Josh, who's not given to mishearing, I wouldn't have thought,
wrote on his Facebook page that Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) (not "D'OH") had said
the following in Congress:

'In 2009 we must redefine freedom. Freedom means healthy.'

This seemed to me to be 'particularly revealing of the spirit of our
times', as Fred asked, and also well-phrased! But, by the time the
quotation got to the Congressional Record for November 7, 2009, Rep. Ryan
had 'revised and extended' it to:

'In 2009, we need to redefine freedom.  Freedom in America in 2009 means
being healthy and having access to a health care system that isn't just for
the elite, but it's for everybody.'

The revised version is in the Congressional Record at:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2009_record&page=H12593&position=all

It's not as eloquent now as it was.  Shame!  Anyway, FWIW.

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) +44 (0)1904 432665
     (mobile) +44 (0)771 853 5634
Fax  +44 (0)1904 432673

BORDERS AND IDENTITIES CONFERENCE, JAN 2010:
http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/people/pages/hall.htm