Most Notable Quotations of 2009

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Nov 9 09:57:29 UTC 2009

Yesterday, I posted this quote from Rep. Tim Ryan in Congress:

'In 2009, we need to redefine freedom.  Freedom in America in 2009 means
being healthy and having access to a health care system that isn't just for
the elite, but it's for everybody.'

[See] the Congressional Record at:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2009_record&page=H12593&position=all
'

My friend Josh Tauberer had originally given a more succinct and
interesting version of the quote, but it turns out the Congressional Record
version is actually more-or-less verbatim from the House. Josh corrects
himself as follows (and gives another source for the quote):

> I was multitasking at the time, so I think I just conformed what I heard
> to a more interesting and succinct template. Sorry for causing any
> confusion.

> I forgot it's also on video at C-SPAN's website, at time 16:15 here:
> http://www.c-span.org/Watch/watch.aspx?MediaId=HP-A-25674

> The Congressional Record is right except for a missing "and" between the
> sentences.

So it's not as good a quote as it could have been, but still very
representative of the spirit of the times!

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) +44 (0)1904 432665
     (mobile) +44 (0)771 853 5634
Fax  +44 (0)1904 432673

BORDERS AND IDENTITIES CONFERENCE, JAN 2010:
http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/people/pages/hall.htm