Meaning of "used to would" double modal?

Patty patty at CRUZIO.COM
Thu Nov 12 20:30:04 UTC 2009

Hello Jesse - I have a project that started out as an investigation of
stative verbs with progressive aspects and temporal placement.  This was
based on a semantics class assignment a long time ago.  I looked and my
email folder starts after that and I included the very first message, off
the Linguist List actually, that kept my curiosity going about these types
of constructions.  Maybe reading it, will lead you in a direction.  My own
research has grown to include tense and mood and the perfect.  I don't
understand it nearly as well as I would like - whether a sentence is
grammatical or not - and what is possible in a cross section of languages -
Here is my original sentence that started the whole thing; differing
opinions on whether the sentence was grammatical or not:

 I will be finishing this task in an hour.

like I am predicting the future :)

Now that I am considering it, based on my futuristic point of view, it
sounds like your southern performer is trying to rewrite his past and
everyone knows you can't do that........

Regards,

Patty Davies