Meaning of "used to would" double modal?

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 12 20:34:59 UTC 2009

But "used to" already expresses not just past tense, but habitual past. What
does "would" add to that? Does it emphasizes the habituality, as Charles
suggests, or is it semantically redundant?

Compare
 1. lies I used to would tell
 2. lies I used to tell
 3. lies I would tell
 4. lies I told

2, 3, and 4 are all in my dialect and pretty broadly in US usage. For me, 2
and 3 are synonymous or pret'near so,* referring to habitual lying in the
past. In contrast, 4 can refer to any past lying, habitual or not, including
a single occasion ("lies I told last night").

* leaving aside the conditional use of 3

m a m