Scrub Stock

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 16 04:28:09 UTC 2009

Victor quotes, from 1913:

"... Producers of _opium dope_ ..."

Opium was once considered to be a member of a set named "dope"?
Instead of actually being itself "dope"? I have an unfortunately very
vague memory of having heard the use of the word, "dope," to name a
substance, otherwise unidentifiable by me, used by "po' folk" in East
Texas to pacify babies. Wonder whether there is / was a connection
between the "dope" of which opium is one kind and the kind of "dope"
once so commonly used to pacify colic-y babies that there was no need
to be more specific about its name.

-Wilson

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Victor <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Victor <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Scrub Stock
>
> I now had a chance to review some searches on "scrub stock". So here's
> the follow up.
>
> First up was the "news" search. The regular news search turns up either
> references to the TPM post or copies of it, or multiple reprints of
> Buchanan's own piece. Ho-hum.
>
> But Google now has the option for searching older archives (even if you
> can't see the entire publication). Someone with access to ProQuest
> Archives can check the specifics, but I can outline the results here.
>
> The general use of "scrub stock" appears to be quite common in the
> period 1850-1930 in reference to cattle, horses, sheep--at least, as far
> as these limited search patterns show. Some are just generic references
> to the runt, as I identified initially, but others are a bit more
> interesting. Basically, "scrub stock" refers to animals that are not
> "pure-bred". This language appears in US, Canadian and Australian
> publications that I came across. In many cases, the publications suggest
> that owning pure-bred stock is preferable and more profitable than
> owning "scrub stock". Some suggest that "scrub stock" is due to poor
> farm management. Others use the term to describe "local" breeds, as
> opposed to the more prominent breeds. A interesting variant can be found
> at the Cornell University Library "Making of America" site, which
> reproduces a copy of Living Age, Vol. 55, #702 (November 7, 1857). The
> piece in question appears on p. 377 and is titled Blood Stock.
> [The URL is far too long and I won't dare to reproduce it without tinyurl.]
>
>  >> A stock raiser of Fayette county, Ky., lost eight colts one season,
> *four of them thorough-breds, and four of them common scrub stock.* He
> amputated the legs of all of them, and boiled off the flesh, cleaning
> the bones thoroughly, to learn, by examination, what difference, in
> respect of bone, there was between pure-blooded and common ones. On
> taking the bones of the thorough-breds, and holding them up to the
> light, he noticed that they were almost transparent, as much so as white
> corn. He tried the same experiment with the bones of inferior stock.
> They were opaque, and transmitted light no more than buffalo horn. He
> then tested the bones by weight, and found the thorough-bred by far the
> heavier, showing their superior substance and solidity. They were had
> and dense as ivory.--*Nashville Union, October 1*
>
> I reproduced the entire piece because it makes it obvious how this usage
> lent itself to eugenics. On one hand, you got pure-bloods, on the
> other--scrub stock. Simple!
>
> Another piece from Cornell Library is equally illuminating. The excerpt
> is from p. 513 of Wheat Fields of the Columbia by Ernest Ingersoll
> (Harper's New Monthly Magazine, Vol. 69, #412, September 1884, p. 510).

> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain