OT: Irish blunders

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed Nov 18 17:45:35 UTC 2009

Perhaps Andrew Marvell was alluding to the Irish (about whom, if we credit
"An Horatian Ode", he had no very high opinion) in "Damon the Mower":

While thus he threw his Elbow round,
Depopulating all the Ground,
And, with his whistling Sythe, does cut
Each stroke between the Earth and Root,
The edged Stele by careless chance
Did into his own Ankle glance;
And there among the Grass fell down,
By his own Sythe, the Mower mown.

    xi
Alas! said He, these hurts are slight
To those that dye by Loves despight.
With Shepherds-purse, and Clowns-all-heal,
The Blood I stanch, and Wound I seal.
Only for him no Cure is found,
Whom Julianas Eyes do wound.
'Tis death alone that this must do: